Thursday, September 22, 2011

Green beans and glycolysis

Let me just start by saying that today was much better. Yes, we shall leave it at that.


I went to bed rather late last night after staying up to learn the muscles of the neck and face and  when my alarm went off this morning, I had the usual battle in my head where I decide if I really want to go to lecture. I decided I should go because today was two hours worth of anatomy and the professor/doctor who teaches it is kind of terrible and it's best to be there in person. Afterwards, we had yet another confusing lecture in biochemistry (TCA cycle fun...) and then a slow physiology lecture on heme stuff. My attention started to waiver during this last lecture...whoops.


After lectures, I came home and had a healthy lunch after my quick shower.
English muffin pizza, watermelon, hunk o' turkey
Then it was back to school to my small group session on patient-centered interviewing. We watched the interviews we taped 2 weeks ago and gave each other feedback so that we do better on our second interview, which is tomorrow. That means we have to dress up and wear our white coats. I shall post a picture of myself looking all doctor-like, don't worry.


After small group, I headed into lab to identify head and neck muscles on a body. It didn't take that much time and so I headed out at 4:30, came home, and found that the YMCA had finally granted my financial aid application so I have to pay $32 a month instead of $64. Niiiice. It pays to be a broke medical student.


At the Y, I ran my 5km and it was rough today too. I was simply too distracted and it was more like a task than something fun. Afterwards, I did some weight lifting and core work. That was definitely more fun than running. I ended up spending over two hours there. I'm not sure how, but I'm glad I did. I enjoyed myself (for the most part).


When I got home, I cooked myself a real meal. I marinated a chicken breast at lunch and then threw in some garlic-herb potatoes I quickly made so that I could cook it all at once.
I paired my meal with some green beans. It was seriously really, really nice to be able to cook myself a legitimate meal. I don't know when I was able to do that last.
After dinner, I pulled out some old biochemistry stuff from undergrad and tried to teach myself glycolysis again because I don't feel as though this professor is that great. He's really energetic and personable, but he goes too fast. So I find myself having to review his stuff a lot. This wouldn't be terrible, but we have a quiz on Tuesday so I have a lot of pathways to cover by then: glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pentose phosphate pathway, glycogen synthesis, pyruvate metabolism, the TCA cycle, the electron transport chain, and oxidative phosphorylation. Yikes!


Anyway, since I have to be up earlier than usual tomorrow (being that we have to dress up, I have to wake up early enough to shower beforehand), I am heading to bed as soon as I've washed up for the night. I was going to try to learn a bit more glycolysis, but I think I'm good for the night ;-)


Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing MUCH better!! That dinner looks epic delicious sweetie. You'll have to make it for me sometime! ^_^ I hope that your interview went well. Can't wait to see you all doctor-y! I love you hun. <3

    ReplyDelete