This morning when I woke up, I went to the gym immediately so I could get it done with for the day. The only bad thing about this is that I wasn't really thinking and didn't dress properly for everything I wanted to do for the day. Meh. I stuck with some weight lifting so that my knees could have a day off. They haven't been causing me any problems (shockingly), but I didn't want to stress them out too much after all the running I've been doing.
When I got home from the gym, I decided to make protein pancakes. Basically, I just dumped 1.5 scoops of protein powder in my pancake mix. I added an egg white and some vanilla almond milk. They looked pretty promising:
But when I flipped them, they weren't looking as good.
I topped them with chocolate chips and ate them with some kiwi.
They were super dooper dry. I mean, I still ate all of them, but it was a task to chew them as much as I had to. I'm not sure if they were dry because I added protein powder or if it was because it was a new mix I was trying out (my organic, whole wheat good stuff from Whole Foods). I'll have to rethink this if I want to make my pancakes more protein-rich from this point onward.
After lunch, I got down to studying and pretty much did that all day. I took a break to go to meijer and get a few things to make banana bread as I had six very ripe bananas that were going to go bad otherwise. I need some baking powder and some loaf pans. Additionally, the recipe I found online called for bread flour rather than normal flour and since it was on sale, I decided to go for it.
Also, on my way home, I stopped at Big Apple Bagels to use my Groupon (I spent $5 and got $10 to spend). I bought two of my favorite bagel sandwiches: turkey and havarti on an everything bagel. I figured I could have one for dinner today and one for lunch tomorrow. The best part was that the two of them only cost me $2.70. Win!
When I was done with dinner, it was back to studying for a while before I took a break to make my banana bread. I was kind of unsure of the banana bread when the dough was so sticky. It may have been my own fault because I tried to make them healthier. Instead of butter, I used margarine. Instead of sugar, I used Splenda, and instead of using the whole egg, I simply used the egg white. Needless to say, it didn't look like it was going to turn out the way I wanted.
The bread baked for an hour and then I got out my two loaves and they looked okay, but not nearly as dark as I was expecting:
The recipe I used was supposed to be a knockoff of Starbucks' banana bread, so I guess I won't be using that again. I'm not entirely sure why I used it in the first place. I just thought that it'd be good since I enjoy their birthday cake pops so much. Meh. After letting the loaves cool for an hour, I had two slices.
Look at how light this is in color! The banana bread that I make with my mom's awesome recipe is always way darker. Anyway, the bread itself was just okay. I froze one loaf and I may end up taking it in to school and putting it in the student lounge and letting people pick it over since I'm not a huge fan. Serves me right for straying from the tried and tested recipe of my mom's.
And because I ate so many breakfast foods, I prepped all my overnight oats for the week this evening since it's easier to make them all at once. So now I just have to pull them out of the freezer in the morning. This is nice because I have to be up early twice this week for more ICCs/showering before lecture. Gross.
Anywho, I'm off to bed so that I can be nice and exhausted at the beginning of the week :-(







Hi hun! I love how you (at least try) to make recipes healthier! It's a really awesome habit to get into, despite having to tweak the recipes sometimes! I bet Jeanne knows a few good ways to adjust recipes :) Keep your head high and know that you are a total BAMF!! Love you lots n lots n lots!!!!!!!! <3
ReplyDelete