Thursday, September 8, 2011

Finding a balance

I'm back! Well, I guess I'm not back seeing as how I never left. My brain did. It hasn't returned, though. This is not good.


Anywho, I'm guessing there's just not going to be a post everyday like there was once upon a happy time when I was gainfully employed (and bored out of my mind). Deal with it. I'm in medical school. It seems free time doesn't exist anymore.


I was supposed to do a weigh-in this morning, but as I seriously got up and started studying right away, I completely forgot. Never fear - I shall weigh in tomorrow and post it! However, I'm on my period, so it doesn't really count anyway (this is a rule Mark has and I'm sticking to it, despite being Mark-less).


The last few days have been rough. I've been slowly figuring out anatomy (the class, not the lab). I can tell you what I'm looking for and where it's supposed to be, but I can't find it on a body to save my life. Ughsss. I'm working on it.


I've also been struggling with figuring out eating patterns. I'm in a state of perpetual stress (imagine the week before exams everyday, people) and I feel as though I need to eat whenever possible because I don't know when my next meal is. This is not good. I haven't been as terrible as I'm making it sound, but I definitely haven't had as much regulation as I had a few weeks ago. I'm working on it and I'll figure it out. And because I'm too lazy to do a "this was my day" post, here are some pictures of my food (there aren't many because I either haven't taken them or have been fed at various student interest group meetings):
Lunch Tuesday 
Breakfast today
Lunch today
Mid-anatomy snack (organic honey teddy grahams)
I have been good at getting to the gym though. I really love how the Y has free classes. I've been doing a class called PowerFlex. It works every muscle group (including the core...ughssss) for a bit using both a barbell and dumbbells. I really like it because it's a full-body workout plus stretching for an hour and I can just follow along without having to think. The only bad thing is there's typically a lot of lunges and I just can't do them with my knees as bad as they are. I think yesterday's instructor was getting annoyed that I wasn't doing them properly. It's not that I don't know how to do them, it's just that it physically hurts me to do them. I'll have to tell her next week.

Anywho, I also ran 3.1 miles today. I stopped twice (for maybe 1.5 minutes total), but I was struggling. I wasn't having difficulty running per se, I was having a hard time telling myself that I deserved to use that time for me instead of for study. Finding a balance is hard, folks. That being said, I really enjoyed my run today and actually wanted to go running again, but I really don't have that kind of time. Getting to the gym and running is about an hour's worth of time already.

Once I got back, I settled into studying again. I seriously spend about 3/4 of my day looking like this(ish):
Me in my computer chair attempting to understand anatomy
I know I'm not looking particularly attractive in this pic (I use my breaks from studying to do each stage of getting ready for bed - face washing, teeth brushing, flossing, etc and this was post-face washing), but such is life.

Anyway, I'm heading to bed now so I can wake up around 8:00 a.m. to learn about back muscles and the breast before going to my small group session (to talk about how to effectively interview patients) and then into anatomy lab. Then I have an hour break before going back in to attend my directed study group for anatomy. Gah. That doesn't end until 9:00 p.m. so tomorrow's going to be a very long day. Gross. I'm not even sure if I can get a gym session in there. We'll see. Thursdays may have to be my off-day being that I'm tied up from 1:00 - 9:00 p.m.

Thanks so much for reading! And if I may ask a small favor, could you please subscribe to my blog if you follow? You literally just have to click "Join this site." It doesn't do anything, I promise. I just want to see how many people are actually reading this thing. Thanks in advance!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE YOU!! I know you'll figure our your balance. You're so good at that! It just takes a little time. You are amazing and you're going to be the bestest doctor ever!!! (and probably the most gangsta...) xxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete