Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Food as a punishment

So last night I "went to bed" a few minutes after my post. I didn't even wash my face or brush my teeth. I simply wanted to pass out as soon as possible. But, I have to read before I fall asleep or else I just lay there thinking for ridiculous amounts of time. So, I decided I would read some Harry Potter (I've been rereading the series before bedtime since this summer) and instead of getting more tired, I ended up starting to wake up. And then I began to feel hungry. But as I wanted to go to bed soon, I knew I shouldn't eat despite only having had one meal yesterday.


Eventually, around 10:00, I put the book down and tried to fall asleep, but my mind kept working and I kept thinking about all of the things I should have accomplished but simply shrugged off. Like I should have streamed the lectures I missed. I should have done some of the physiology homework. I should have done a lot of stuff. Like a lot. So then I was back to not being able to sleep and being stuck in my own head. So, I picked up Harry Potter again. Then, when I got up to go to the bathroom, I decided I would have a protein bar after all. Except instead of having one, I had two. Then I went back for a third. And a fourth. And then I just finished the box off because I suck. I knew what I was doing while I was doing it, but I couldn't stop. And I knew it would upset my stomach (and me in general), but I kept going. After finishing that entire box of chocolate peanut butter protein bars, I ate a strawberry one. Because that one wasn't that great, I had a double chocolate one to "erase" the taste of the strawberry one. And about 1,000 calories later, I was feeling disgusting and wide awake.


I know. I know. Not such a hot decision. As I sit and think about it today, I realize that I was using food to punish myself for not doing as much work as I should have. Why? Because we all know that gaining weight would be the ultimate form of failure for me and I guess I felt as though I deserved to fail at something I want to make up for my hours of respite and relaxation. I know, I know. Not healthy. And as I sit here, attempting to understand my biochemistry (it's the pentose phosphate pathway - why am I struggling with this when I've learned it before?), I remember yesterday and want to cry/did cry/stopped crying because I was afraid someone would walk by and think I was a moron.


That being said, I did go to the gym today. I ran my 5km, did a tiny bit of weightlifting and called it good (I didn't have enough time to do everything I wanted to do). It was so hard today. Like my stomach was still a bit upset and I had a stitch in both sides of my chest within a mile of my start. But I pushed through it because really, I don't deserve a break. I already had one yesterday and it didn't do me any good.


So, now I shall go back to learning about the pentose phosphate pathway, gluconeogenesis, and glycolysis. I'm not posting this for pity - I'm simply posting this because it helps and because honestly, it's a lot easier writing about it on here than telling one of my friends or my mom on the phone. I'm obviously disappointed in myself and I don't want them to be, too.


Pwhew. Sorry.


And on that oh-so-chipper note, I hope you had a great birthday, Mom!

2 comments:

  1. You DO deserve breaks, for your mental health. Don't stress out about making one mistake with the protein bars. Lots of people make these kinds of mistakes--it's what you do afterward that makes you who you are.

    It's hard not to stress about not doing enough learning in med school; there will always be more to learn and never enough time to learn it all. And you've done great so far--be confident in yourself (and know that sometimes we all make mistakes, so when you make one it's only as big of a deal as you choose to make it). Be confident in your abilities!

    P.S. You are your toughest critic. Your family would NOT be disappointed in you--they want to see you succeed, and they are there to support you when you feel like you can't do something--not to kick you when you're down. Keep up the hard work! (And take reasonable breaks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I second Jess' comment. Second, you know you can ALWAYS call me sweetie. I love you so much and I'll be here for your whenever you need me. Even at 10pm when you want to eat a bunch of protein bars. You deserve the best, Danika and you've been giving that to yourself for some time now. Honestly? I've been bragging to everyone (friends and family) this weekend about how amazing my friend Danika is and how much of an inspiration she is. Get over the slump and get back to work! <3 Love you darling!

    ReplyDelete