Friday, September 9, 2011

Less than two weeks

I'm not even two weeks in and I've already had my first breakdown. Why? Because of this:
Yes, my friends. Because of anatomy. I know, I know. You're getting bored of my loathing of anatomy. Well, umm, I only have a semester to go, so don't you worry - it'll be over by December 16!


Anywho, I think this whole not going to lecture thing is actually screwing me over. I'm getting behind in my streaming. Like way behind. Like I-haven't-even-watched-this-week's-anatomy-lectures behind. Why? Because pausing the streaming is so convenient. If I don't understand something, I pause. If I need to write something down, I pause. If I still don't get it, I rewind. This is great for understanding thoroughly, but terrible when I realize I've spent 2 hours on a 50-minute lecture. So now I think I will get up and stream the lectures live for an overview and re-watch them everyday for deeper understanding because that way, things will hopefully speed up. We'll see how this goes. The plus side of this is that it requires rolling out of bed at 7:50 a.m. rather than 6:45 a.m. (which would be required if I were to attend lecture in person).


I'm heading to bed now, but I thought I'd tell you that I feel like shit about school and myself. I didn't get to the gym today (as expected) even though I really, really wanted to go for a run. And I also ate 3 Luna bars. In one sitting. After I'd eaten a Jimmy John's sub. Ughs. I'm starting to use food as a method of procrastination and that's not going to help me get where I want to be. So, anyway - it hasn't been the greatest day. A big thank you to my mom and Matt for listening to me cry hysterically about how I suck at life.


As promised, here's my weigh-in and some pics of my food:
Up from last week by 0.2 pounds (I blame the menstruation)
Breakfast
Lunch

2 comments:

  1. Two more things (I swear just two) on anatomy--look at as many different bodies as possible, and on tests, try to find the origins and insertions of muscles that are tagged, and where arteries/veins/nerves are going.

    Med school is a big adjustment regardless of where you're coming from (straight out of school, working, etc.). It takes more than two weeks to get yourself into the right routine for you. Try your best not to beat yourself up right now--it's a transition time.

    I procrastinate with food as well--one strategy I have for dealing with that is to make my study place somewhere where I don't have easy access to the kitchen, even if it means just having a closed door between me and the kitchen. I also go someplace else to study--do you have a coffee shop or a neighborhood library where you could go for an afternoon? I bring headphones and find a corner where I can concentrate. It works well when I just need a change of scenery to help focus on the task at hand (make sure to bring snacks so you're not thinking about food all day). You can plan out your day so that while you're not going to class, you're going to your own version of class (write out a schedule if that helps).

    The first two years of med school are hard. It's totally ok to feel frustrated and have a breakdown/cry session once in a while--it can help relieve stress (and gives you an excuse to call a friend). You will get through this. You CAN do it! Keep doing the best that you can and don't give up on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie! I love you SO much! I'm glad that you're realizing what's working and what's not working in your study habits. It's good that you have a plan too! Just find your groove, you'll get there!

    I totally agree with Jess about getting out of the house to study. It's way too easy to procrastinate at home.

    I hope that you've gotten to the gym since this post. Imma go up and read your latest one <3

    You can do it Danika! I know you can <3 Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete