I've been overweight for as long as I can remember. Yes, I do have pictures when I was skinny, but that was so long ago that I'm not sure it counts.
![]() |
| My brother Tristan, sister Malena, our dog Tessa, and (skinny) me |
As the pound crept on, I began to hate anything that required physical activity because I simply couldn't compete. I remember being mortified when we had to run a timed mile in middle school. And in the eighth grade, I clearly recall not being able to do one sit-up during a fitness test. So, instead of trying to do a sit-up, I probably just ate more.
I think I picked up all my bad eating habits in my youth. Growing up, my dad was always sick with migraines, and so we couldn't have chocolate in the house (chocolate has caffeine in it, which exacerbates headaches). But, when he was gone on business trips, my mom got us oreos - a delicious and simple pleasure for a kid. My sister, brother, and I would instantly turn into vultures the second the oreo packaging was open - we needed to eat as many oreos as possible because soon they would be gone. So, I never learned portion size.
At dinner time, my mom was always the first to finish her dinner. She said she picked up eating quickly when she was in college because she was always on the go. Well, because I was a somewhat competitive child (I blame it on middle child syndrome), I used to eat as fast as possible to beat her. So, I never learned to eat slowly.
On top of that, dinner was typically always at 6:00 p.m. And if you didn't eat then, you typically didn't eat at all. It didn't matter if you were hungry or not. So, I never learned to eat only when I was hungry.
Now, I'm not trying to blame this on my parents (especially because I know my mom reads this - love you, Mom!). Really, their eating habits were quite healthy, but I guess I just picked up some bad habits along the way, and they stuck.
But my eating habits are what make this whole journey to health a lot harder. It's difficult trying to undo 23 years of damage. I still have a hard time eating just one cookie. I still have to put a lot of effort in my portion sizes. I still have to really think about how hungry I am. But I'm making a little bit of progress everyday, and I credit a lot of it to SparkPeople.
SparkPeople.com is the website I use to track my calories - both eaten and burned off. They help me shoot for healthy ranges in terms of what I need to eat and in terms of how many calories I should be burning everyday. In fact, they'll even set up meals and exercise plans for you if you want them to. However, I like to have a little more freedom than that.
![]() |
| My SparkPeople home page - click to make it bigger |
Anyway, back to today. I don't have many pics of my food, but here are some of my portion-controlled and calorie-logged meals!
And now I must go to bed so I can be up early for the gym!
How are your eating habits? Do you struggle with anything?


I've been eating a lot of Cadbury Mini Eggs recently :-( I struggle to stop eating those, although while I'm eating them, I can't say I dislike it. I do after though.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found SmartPeople.com. When I was losing weight for the wedding I used FitDay.com and it was my saving grace... the only reason I think I kept on track with my diet and exercise.
One thing I do want to say (besides the fact that I love you) is that I noticed these photos you posted lack anything green. Please eat more leafy greens :-)
shrimp = delicious
ReplyDelete@Jenna: Do you have any good ideas for incorporating some leafy greens into my diet? I've tried doing some salads lately, but the dressing completely ruins it. Boo.
ReplyDelete@Anonymous: Can't argue with you there. I wish it weren't so expensive!
Bonjour ma cherie!
ReplyDeleteI am SO PROUD of you sharing your story! How long have we been friends? How much do I NOT know?? Seriously <3 You're amazing!
That said :) I've been having trouble with portion sizing lately. I'm so "busy" with school that I wait weeks to go grocery shopping. Then I end up eating things like a bag of popcorn for supper. This morning I had a bowl of cereal and a bowl of ice cream. Problem is, I had a bowl last night too... And when I get up at 5am, instead of working out, I've been watching "The Office"
Maybe I should move back to Midland so we can motivate each other... :D
Love you!!!!!!!!!!! SO MUCH!!!! <3 <3 <3
Girls!!! Get to the grocery store for Pete's sake!!! *shakes finger menacingly* Danika, I don't know what kind of dressings you like, but I have found a ginger dressing that is quite tasty with lots of salads. Here is what that looks like: http://www.san-j.com/product_info.asp?id=14
ReplyDeleteIt is similar (although sadly, not quite the same) to the dressing on the salads at Genji's. :) If you like a creamier dressing, which I often do, I suggest making your own. I have used fat free plain yogurt and mixed it with various seasonings, depending on the flavor I'm craving. I've made a lemon dill dressing that way, a southwest-style dressing... Many options for that. Pick out your favorite seasoning, mix it in and place it on salad. Very tasty and no added fat. :) Plain fat free yogurt is also a VERY good substitute for sour cream in many dishes and I even put it on tacos in place of sour cream. Disclaimer: It is not exactly the same, so don't expect it to be. However, when eaten with other things, it is close enough to make me forget about the lack of delicious, high fat sour cream. :)
Yeah, what I did is always stick raw spinach in my sandwiches. Even if you hate spinach (I hate it cooked, unless in spinach artichoke dip... that's a whole new ballgame). It replaces the iceburg lettuce people normally stick in sandwiches for no reason, and you honestly can't taste it.
ReplyDeleteAlso, does SmartPeople.com keep track of the nutrients you eat and tell you what percentage of your reccomended daily value for all your nutrients you've eaten? When I was using FitDay.com, that was the greatest thing about the site and really kept me under control. It was amazing how much Vitamin A and E I lacked in my diet, and it helped me to choose healthier things to eat because of it. I encourage you to do the same and I think it will get a whole lot easier.
@ Jenna: I bought some spinach at the store tonight and a new dressing so hopefully I can eat some leafy greens in salad form! Also, SparkPeople will keep track of anything you want it to. At the bottom of your nutrition page, it is preprogrammed to show you only calories, fat, carbs, and protein, but you can change it to show anything you want. Right now, I'm still working on eating healthier. But I will check out FitDay! The nurse I talked to the other night was using FitnessPal. I didn't realize there were so many choices. However, the main reason I like SparkPeople is because there's a huge support system there waiting to love you.
ReplyDelete@Regina: I bought a new ginger dressing tonight! I couldn't find the one that you recommended specifically, but I'm hoping it's delicious! I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Also, it's funny that you mentioned yogurt replacing sour cream because I just read about someone else doing that last night!