Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A new gym

So yesterday I told you that I would update you on this new gym I'm trying out this week. But, first I need to get something off my chest: I didn't make it to the gym this morning. Not because I was tired or because my knees hurt, but because I forgot to change my alarm back after I set it to 7:00 yesterday. Whoops. I woke up at 6, but that simply isn't enough time to get to the gym, get a good workout in and get back home by 7. So, I went back to bed. But, I will be going tomorrow. Don't you worry.

Anyway, back to the gym story. Included in my rent agreement, I got a free membership to Smitty's, a hardcore gym where there are lots of bodybuilders. However, included in my perks for working for CPI Engineering, I got a free membership to the wellness center at the Midland Community Center, a more family-friendly gym. I've been going to Smitty's for a while since that's where I do my personal training, but I decided to give the community center a try for the workouts I do on my own in the mornings. And Mark, my trainer, works at both so when he told me he likes the community center better, I figured I might be missing out on something.

However, I'm not sure which one I prefer. So here's my list of pros and cons of going to the community center thus far:

Pros:
  • It's closer to home
  • There are less men groaning/grunting while they lift a bajillion pounds
  • They have newer, nicer equipment
  • My favorite type of elliptical is there
Cons:
  • You have to sign out the cardio equipment and it's usually pretty busy in the mornings
  • You don't just swipe in, you have to wait and get a wristband
  • The lighting is kind of poor and there aren't any windows
  • There aren't any built men groaning/grunting while they lift a bajillion pounds
Anyway, that's all I've got for you today. It's been a long day and I just want to get my butt to bed so that I can be well-rested for the gym tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. I used to work out at Smitty's before it was Smitty's when Smitty was just a guy with a gym membership to whatever gym it was then. I talked with him here and there and he's a really nice guy. We're not like, best buds, or anything, but I do know that, even though he is the body-builder type, he is more than willing to help someone who is much less "at home" in the gym. Just my two cents worth. :) But by all means, if you are more comfortable at the Community Center, switch. You will be more likely to work out if you don't feel awkward doing it.

    ReplyDelete