Sunday, June 26, 2011

So fresh!

Thanks for coming back despite the lack of posts! I'll do a brief overview of what's been going on and then tell you all about today.


Wednesday, I weighed in per usual. This was last week:
And this is this week:
That's a 2.4 pound loss. Now, I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm on my period and I'm retaining water like a camel in the desert. So, any loss is awesome and I'm certain next week will be better.


Wednesday afternoon, I headed to East Lansing with my mom to look at apartments for med school. Since I got in rather late, a lot of the good apartments were taken. In fact, in the complex that pretty much all the med students live in, there was only one room available. And this is only because someone canceled their contract that week. So, since I really wanted to live close and with all the other med school kids, I went and checked out Berrytree Apartments. After touring the complex and the apartment, I signed a lease to pay a buttload of money every month ($730) for a one-bedroom apartment. Malena (who goes to MSU) showed us around East Lansing a bit and I started getting upset because it was finally starting to sink in that I would be living in East Lansing, a city that I don't really like. Compared to Ann Arbor, there's not a ton of culture and it's nowhere near as beautiful a campus. But, I'm sure once I'm there and studying my butt off, I won't be too concerned with either of these things.


Thursday and Friday, I went to work per usual and was bored for a majority of it. Shocking, I know. But, Friday night, my mom and I went to see Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. It was very entertaining. I illegally took some photos and a tiny bit of video so you can see.
The stage - Steve had 4 banjos
This is how far we were from the stage
Steve wore white
Right before this clip, Steve said that he was certain his album was going to be on the top 10 list next week because he was going to overdose on vicodin.
Sorry the video's so short, but I felt kinda guilty about it. Anyway, the show was awesome and it was completely sold out.


Today was pretty awesome, too. I woke up and decided to head to the Farmer's Market right away for some fresh produce. I'd been putting off shopping for a bit so I could get some local stuff and I'm glad I did because I got all of this:
So colorful! After the Farmer's Market, I headed to meijer to get the rest of the stuff on my shopping list and I decided to buy sweet potatoes to make sweet potato fries. I got the recipe from Krista's blog. Since I munched on watermelon and cantaloupe while they were baking, I only had the fries for lunch.
They're a tad burnt because I struggle wanted them really crispy. But, I've looked up a few more sweet potato fry recipes and they all call for having the oven temp a bit higher, so I'll try that tomorrow.


After lunch, I headed to my mom's house to mow the lawn. But, before I headed out, I made myself a sloppy joe since I really love her sloppy joes.
After mowing, I hopped in the shower quickly and then we went to see Mr. Popper's Penguins. I effing love penguins, so that movie was top-notch. Especially when the babies made an appearance. I want one.


When we got home, it was time to start making dinner. We had grilled salmon, sweet potato fries (I tried my hand at making them again), and corn-on-the-cob. Yum!
 And we ate outside since it was gorgeous.


After dinner, I went blading. I did an easy 6.5 miles and then headed back to my mom's to collect my laundry.


Once I got back home, I washed up for bed and waited for Matt to get on Skype to chat with him for a bit. It's always nice video chatting with the people I so dearly miss. And fortunately, I'll be seeing Matt and a few other friends next weekend when I house/animal sit for Cathy in Ann Arbor. Woot! I'm really excited!


And now that it's way past my bedtime, I need to hit the hay. Tomorrow, I'll be going to the gym for some awesome heart rate cycling and then I'm thinking about going on a biking adventure. I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. You should take pictures of your biking adventure! I also wanted to remind you that though you are allowed to sit on the house for house sitting, the same rules don't apply to the animals...

    I'm so proud of all your hard work and I can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that Ann Arbor > East Lansing. But having lived in both, there's a few charms about the school & campus that I can share... here's a few to start off...

    The Red Cedar River: I wouldn't swim in it, but it is kind of cool to have a river that flows through campus, that you can bike along or feed ducks.

    Rent-a-dog: At least when I was there, you could "borrow" a dog for an hour or two to take for a walk. Good for the dog, good exercise, and good canine time for dog lovers.

    Parking: Is much easier than in Ann Arbor

    More biker friendly: Maybe this is subjective, but because it's more spread out and seems to have less density of cars, it seemed a better campus to bike around. And it's kind of huge, so it's either bike, bus or take a lonnnng walk.

    You might already know these things, especially since your sister goes there, I'm just trying to spin EL in a better light for you!!

    And hey, you're going to be a doctor... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you oodles!! You're doing awesome! <3

    I apologize for being brief, I'm in the middle of laundry and packing! <3

    ReplyDelete