Sunday, May 4, 2014

Ice cream versus sherbet

Today was a busy day. I didn't get to go blading because it rained [again] in the morning. I was a tad bummed, but since my knees were still bothering me off and on, I figured it wasn't that big of a deal that I didn't get to blade.

My mom taught me how to make one of her Chinese dishes: cashew chicken. It's essentially stir fry, and I thought it'd be a bit healthier than some of the things I munch on for dinner. You see, I'm trying to think more ahead than I usually do in terms of making food beforehand. When I'm starving, I thought it'd be better to have delicious things that are healthy to heat up rather than just a PBJ, handful of this, handful of that, seven billion handfuls of something else, so on and so on.

We made the cashew chicken together (my mom had to teach me because I'm incompetent in the kitchen) and then I brought it home to have for later. I also did a major shopping trip today and prepped some foods for this week. To prep for my trip, I looked through all of my old photos to get an idea of what exactly it was that I ate when I was eating healthy. In summary, a lot of fruits, more vegetables than I'm currently eating, and a lot of meats. Then I wrote out my list:
It was long. I want to emphasize that I got some things that weren't on the list (some spices, some chicken) and there were things I didn't get (turkey sausage - couldn't find what I wanted, potatoes - had to buy a five pound bag). But mostly, I try to stick to my lists because otherwise anything could find its way into my cart.

I also tried to be realistic about the things I was buying. Like changing your eating habits is hard work and cutting out all sweets is just stupid. So, I looked at some labels. I know ice cream isn't all that good for you, so I gravitated toward the frozen yogurt, frozen greek yogurt, and sherbet. Turns out the frozen yogurt has the fewest calories and fat. The sherbet is chock full of sugar (about 30g per 1/2 cup serving) and has no protein whereas the frozen yogurts have way less sugar and obviously, the greek version has more protein. I opted for the vanilla frozen yogurt because it had the least calories and the tastiest flavor (just vanilla).

Anywho, I got home and started making these enchiladas from Krista's blog. They're made with greek yogurt and from a recipe her mom has tweaked. Her mom's are clearly more beautiful than mine.
Before adding the sauce
After they came out of the oven
My serving of two
Neither Krista nor I calculated the calories for these bad boys. I don't imagine they're too bad for you. I think next time I make them, I might add some spinach. The original recipe calls for olives, but since I don't like olives, I omitted that step. But I think they need some bulking. Maybe some spinach and chicken. But, they're pretty legit otherwise. Also, it made 10 enchiladas. Sooo, that's 4 more meals!

While those were cooking, I marinated some chicken and threw it in the freezer and then marinated some fish, which I intend to have for dinner tomorrow after zumba. It's my mom's recipe and it's the fish we had on Friday:
This is the only recipe I have on a legit recipe card - the rest I just type up so I can pull them up whenever
The fish in its marinade.
I hope I'll be able to pull off thinking ahead meal-wise for this rotation. It's a lot of work, though. Speaking of this rotation, our orientation is tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. Soo, I'm going to get up at 6:30, which should be enough time to get in a workout before heading to school. We're only there for half the day, so I'm going to pack snacks and not worry about a lunch just yet.

Tuesday, we're starting at 8:30 a.m., so I'll get up at 6:00 and head to the gym. I'm 100% certain that I won't love morning workouts, but I like the idea of one shower in a day and I like the idea of just getting it over with.

I kind of forgot that I'm supposed to be doing the one positive thing a day part, so today's positive note: I'm proud of myself for thinking ahead and being mindful of my goals while I meal plan.

And here are the rest of today's pictures:
Breakfast 1.1
Breakfast 2.1
Ingredients for cashew chicken
Mushrooms for cashew chicken
All de puppies
Not a puppy :-(
Easily entertained
Cooking
200 calories of frozen yogurt
Catch you guys tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome progress!! I am so proud of you for looking at labels and sticking to your list. You are doing a fantastic job of getting on top of this. I know you're going to feel great. How was the gym this morning? I bet it felt good to work out. Yay positive thing about yourself! You are wonderful and beautiful and I'm excited for you. Can't wait to read tomorrow's blog! Love love love you

    ReplyDelete