Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hurt the Dirt

I am beyond thankful that I have air conditioning in my apartment. I don't care if my electricity bill skyrockets. Sleeping in 92°F weather is not for me. So, thank the science gods for planting the brilliant idea of cooling air into someone's head. I bow down to you.


I am not thanking any gods for the invention of trail running. That shit is hard. I ran my very first trail 5k this weekend. It was no joke. There were hills and tree roots and huge rocks - it was ridiculous. And so, so hard. And of course, as we began running and the legit runners passed me, I started thinking to myself, "Why did I do this? This was the worst idea ever. You're not in shape. You shouldn't be running in races. Gah. This is so hard. Just. Want. To. Stop. How can I get myself out of this? Is there a way back where no one will notice if I suck?" Yeah, so I was thinking happy thoughts. But once I got to about 1.85 miles, I told myself I could do it. Yeah, I ended up walking the hills (running was legit impossible with all the roots) and my time wasn't so great (about 40 minutes), but I did it. And while I was trying to do it, I legit didn't think I'd make it. So, I'm glad I did. Even though it was a poor life decision. Trail running is not for me. Nor is it for my knees. I honestly don't think I'll ever do that again.


Anyway, race photos...woooooo!
Pre-race with some med school friends
Because you can't see the shirts, they're a picture of Ryan Gosling and it says, "Hey Girl, I heard you like to get dirty." And on the back it says "Hurt the Dirt 2012." The race was called Hurt the Dirt...so you know.
Showing off the back of the shirts
Me near the end of the race (hence the bad form)
In other news, I am shocked - let me add some italics so you know how serious I am - I am shocked that I've done this well with my June Challenge. I have made it to the gym everyday and done some running everyday and I've avoided dessert and alcohol. I'm legit. Good for me. And my pace has definitely picked up. I started out this month running at 4.7 mph. Today I was going at 5.2mph. It was hard today because I'd been doing a consistent 5.0mph pace, but I am trying to challenge myself a little bit more.


Anyway, I've been terrrrible with taking pictures of my food - mostly because it's all in tupperware and I eat it at random intervals throughout my day. So, here's what was on my camera since my last post.
Obsessed with protein smoothies + 1 packet of crystal light
Nachos - these were about 600+ calories, but I hadn't eaten much that day
A day's worth of food (minus dinner)
Sunday's lunch
Anywho, I am off to hit the hay. I have to be at school at 8:50 a.m. tomorrow, so I'm going to try to get up early and hit the gym so I can literally spend all day at school. It will most likely be terrible, but such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment