It's been a little over a month since I started yoga. And let me say, it's official: I love it. I love it because even though you're in a class with people of all different levels, the instructors give you modifications so that you do what your body's comfortable with. I love it because I really think the stretching and toning has helped me with my knee issues. I love it because I've stretched muscles that I honestly don't know if I've ever stretched before. And I love it because I can tell that I've made progress.
Today was my last Monday doing yoga before I leave for Africa. I went to my favorite instructor's class. His class is always super full. Today was no different, but I've learned to get there early to grab a good spot. After the class, he came up to me and told me that I am a gym diva. I laughed and asked why. He said it's because he sees me at the gym all the time. I told him that I'm trying to lose weight and be healthier. He said he can tell I've made progress. I thanked him for his class and told him I'd see him again in a few months after I came back from Africa. Also, wow. It's really crazy how a good instructor can make such a difference.
After yoga, I hit up the treadmill for a run and took it at an even faster pace - 5.3mph. And I didn't feel like dying. Granted, I was super excited when it was over, but see? I'm making progress.
Also, I am so, so so excited to share this with, internet besties. Today I got an e-mail saying that I'd won a free gym starter membership (valued at $200!!!) at this local gym that only does crossfit. What's crossfit, you ask? Well, here's wikipedia's answer. Basically, from all the testimonials I've heard, it's a great, great way to shed some pounds, build some muscle and really challenge yourself. Oh, and make new friends. I e-mailed the woman who told me I'd won and she is absolutely cool with me starting when I get back from Africa. Woo hoo!
Anywho, I just finished packing up food for tomorrow. I was at school until a little after 10:00 p.m. today and am certain it will be just as long (if not longer) tomorrow. So, off I go.
Great post! I have never tried Yoga but I am super curious about it.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a wonderful trip.
Thanks so much! I hope you get a chance to try your hand at it - it's pretty hard, but it's so fun to see yourself improving!
ReplyDelete