Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Med school is already eating me alive

Tuesday is our latest starting day of the week. We begin at 9:00 a.m. Whoop de doo. Sleeping in until 7:45 a.m. is not really sleeping in, folks. Last night I made some oats and threw them in the freezer so that I wouldn't be too pressed for time in the morning this morning (unlike yesterday when I was 4 minutes late...). I also took the time to make some scrambled eggs (2 egg whites + 1 whole egg). Twas a good breakfast:

I also packed snacks for this morning's lectures last night:
Watermelon, grapes, organic teddy grahams, lemon Luna bar
I ate all of this during our three hours of lecture this morning and then I came home and went to the gym immediately. As I did weights yesterday, today was a cardio day. I ran 3.1 miles today. Well, I ran/walked 3.1 miles. It took me about 41 minutes. I was really trying to run the whole thing because I know I can do it (since I did on Sunday), but I started getting a stitch in my side and decided to take a few breathing breaks.


Then I came home and made a chocolate banana protein shake which was amazing! I drank that down while I made the rest of my very random lunch:


After lunch, I took a quick shower and headed to school to change into my scrubs for my very first anatomy lab. When I thought about it, I regretted having one of the awesome cookies my mom brought for me as I was walking out the door. Eating shortly before seeing my first cadaver may not have been my brightest idea.


I changed into my scrubs (pic below) and then headed into lab to listen to the lab instructor for over an hour about what lab would be like.
Pumped for the first anatomy lab
Then we headed into lab and started poking around trying to find a few things on the cadavers. So, for those of you who have never had the pleasure of poking around on a cadaver, let me tell you what that's like. First of all, cadavers are yellow. Like very yellow. Having seen surgeries where organs are functioning and different colors, I didn't realize how yellow these cadavers would be. It makes identifying things kind of difficult. But, with the help of some girls, we identified everything we needed and even left a bit early.


Monica and I walked out together and talked about how we're feeling about school so far. I'll talk more about my feelings shortly.


After leaving anatomy, I headed to the Christian Medical Association's welcome picnic. For those of you who know me, I'm not exactly a religious person. But, it's something I want to explore a bit more. So I figured there's no time like the present! I met a second-year at the picnic and I'm going to go to church with him this Sunday since he was pretty much in my same shoes last year.


The other great thing about the picnic was that there was food! We had burgers and an array of different types of salads. There was also cake and ice cream. Unfortunately, the kids served us our cake and ice cream and the portions were small. Womp, womp. I was really excited about the cake!


After the picnic, I headed home and got right to studying. I have my first histology lab tomorrow so I had to do the prelab and learn all about hematoxylin and eosin staining in addition to how microscopes work (I've learned this way more in-depth in my analytical chemistry classes). It was not so fun. Then I worked on some anatomy and poof! it was 11:00 p.m. And I still need to prep stuff for tomorrow.


Okay, so let's get to my feelings about med school. Lecture seems pointless. They post all the lectures online so that you can review them whenever you want. However, if you do go to lecture, you get to waste a half hour of your time because we take 10-minute breaks between each lecture (there are 4 lectures). Also, we start pretty much everyday at 8:00 a.m. and let's face it folks, getting up at 6:45 a.m. after staying up so late is rough. So I don't know how much longer I'm going to attend. Also, it's not as though there aren't a bajillion ways to ask your prof a question. I think I'm going to finish off this week going to lecture just to see how it goes and then decide if I want to attend lectures next week. From the second years I've talked to, it seems as though about 60-70% of the class stops going, and I don't strive to be an independent thinker. Nope I don't.


Anywho, I'm off to prep for tomorrow morning so I can go to lecture. Yuck. I'm seriously already considering not going...It'd be so much better! I could wake up, go to the gym, do some studying in the morning, have lunch, go to lab, come home, study more. It's just waaaay better than waking up and sitting in lecture trying not to fall asleep/pay attention. I don't know about you, but I can't pay attention for 4 straight hours. To anything. Ever. Gah.

1 comment:

  1. Hey doll! That's awesome that you're so on top of things already. It sounds like going to lectures isn't totally necessary, but everyone learns in different ways. I got to visit cadaver lab twice and it was definitely an experience. I enjoyed it and I'm sure you will too. :) I love you lots! Keep up the AWESOME work!!! <3

    ReplyDelete