When I finally got out of bed, I showered quickly and then made a big breakfast as the MSU people stressed that we would be doing a lot of high-energy stuff and they wouldn't be giving us lunch until noon. So, I had 3 egg whites and one whole egg, an English muffin with marinara sauce, and oats!
After breakfast, I hurriedly gathered my stuff together, grabbed a water bottle, and then snapped a photo of the outfit I was wearing for the day.
Yup, that's right. I wore my Michigan Alumni t-shirt to my first day of orientation at MSU. I figured it was going to come out soon anyway, so I may as well get it out in the open right away. That, and who really cares?
So, how was the first day of orientation? Just okay. First, I'm going to let you in on the details of what we did and then I'm going to tell you why it was just okay.
We met at GRCC's Field House, and I signed in and got my name tag. They told us on the back of our name tag we would find our team name and color. Uh, this was the back of my name tag:
Seriously? Team Feces? I was really going to start med school being part of Team Shit? Awesome. I was the first person there of my team and then a few people showed up. I think we had about 15 people total on the team and there were 13 total teams. We started the day with some competitions. The first was a competition where we had to send people up to the coordinator with certain items. For example, she called for one male from each team wearing shoes from two different females. Another time she called for three members of each team to come up and make an 'M.' Our team struggled with this competition and I think we only got points for one of the challenges.
Next was the talent portion. We had to select one person for each talent and send them up to be judged. The first talent we needed was someone to go up and do an impersonation of someone famous. Everyone on my team hesitated, so I volunteered to go up and impersonate Elvis because I have this freaky ability to contort my lips strangely to look like him...ish. Now, this isn't a talent I share often, mostly because it's freakish and awkward, but since no one was stepping up, I went for it. After being judged, it turned out I won. So, I had to go around and show every team my freakish lips. And since you couldn't be there, here's a pic.
![]() |
| Creepy, I know |
After lunch, my team and I went upstairs to practice dancing for a secret flash mob we're doing next week. We're using this tutorial:
We look a little better than that, don't worry. Anyway, we literally practiced for about an hour. And because I sweat like a mofo, I sweat through my gray shirt. I was super embarrassed. No one else seemed to be sweating as much as me. So, during a bathroom break, I went in the individual bathroom and used the hand dryer to dry my shirt so I wouldn't be so self conscious. Then I danced a bit more without sweating through (I hope) and it was time for our tour of the Secchia Center.
After our tour, we had a session about diversity (which didn't even come close to any of the diversity training I've done at UM), and then it was back to the un-air conditioned Field House to practice the Flash Mob dance as a group. So, I was sweating like a mofo again and I sweat through my shirt. So, after another hour of dancing, we headed back to the Secchia Center and I went up to the second floor and blow dried my shirt again so I wouldn't be so embarrassed.
After I was done de-sweating my shirt, I went and got my MSU t-shirt and white coat. I tried my coat on quickly (it fit just fine) and then had to turn it right back in to have my name embroidered on it. Oh, and here's me in my first MSU t-shirt:
![]() |
| I'm not sure how I feel about wearing MSU things... |
So, now that you know what I did, I can tell you why it was just okay. No one was that great. Yeah, I talked with a few people, but a lot of the people on my team and in the groups I talked with seemed to be really into the party scene and that's just not me. Yeah, I like to go out once in a while, but do I need to go out every week? No. Do I like to drink that much? Nope. Do I need to have alcohol to have a good time? Definitely not. So, I wasn't too impressed with the people I met. I'm sure that I'll meet people I click with eventually, but I'm so used to having good friends everywhere I go that I just want a good friend here already. Gah. I need to learn patience.
Anyway, once I was home, I cleaned up my kitchen a bit and decided to head to the grocery store to get some produce since I have been craving a good salad for a while now. I got some good stuff and then headed back home to blog and figure out where to go shopping tomorrow since I need a business casual outfit for Monday. I also figure I can look for an outfit to wear to the white coat ceremony. So, Matt and I are going to meet at the mall around 1 so I can find something appropriate. I hate shopping so we'll see how this goes.



Look how gorgeous you are in your MSU shirt! Hee hee :D I'm sorry that orientation was kind of "eh". You're so fun and outgoing and personable that I'm SURE you'll make good friends fast :) I love you lots and am soooo proud of you! <3
ReplyDeleteA lot of students at my school are really into partying all the time and drinking a lot. I had a really hard time with that at first, but I ended up finding people who aren't all about that to be friends with. It will work out in the end!
ReplyDeleteha! one of my first days of med school it was really hot and there were a few buildings we went up several flights of stairs. Also I was wearing a backpack. So my shirt was really sweating up especially the back, one girl commented that I was sweating (like I didn't know) which made me more embarassed. I had to find a hairdryer but none were around. Luckily there was an iron in the nearby dorms and ironing really does get rid of the moisture.
ReplyDeleteAlso I think you'll find a lot of people are trying to impress others and are over-exited the first week of school and wanting to go out every weekend. That will cool off and you'll work out who you'll click with.
gl shooping
I laughed so hard when i saw the picture of Team Feces, great way to start your med school education! I'm sure you'll find people there that you'll click with, and if not I'll just visit often :)
ReplyDelete