Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Day 3/365: Freight trains

Today was the first day everyone was officially back from holiday break. Every year, we do what we call the holiday schedule where everyone gets either 5 days off for Christmas or 5 days off for New Year's Eve. Since I'm no longer an intern, the holiday schedule just means more time at work for me rather than more work. The interns have the hardest job and I simply went to clinic, did some surgery, or did some C-sections. And I saw a few random consults. Now that everyone's back, we're back to a normal schedule, which is starting around 6:30 a.m. and ending around 5:30 p.m. During the holiday schedule, it's usually 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. with an occasional 24 hour shift thrown in there. But despite today technically being a shorter day, it was a real doozy. 

The person doing the scheduling put 5 residents on the obstetrics service this month, me included. We've got a few folks from other services and a smattering of medical students, but there is a core of 5. On Tuesday afternoons, 4 of them leave (me excluded), and then all the work that was previously divided into 5 is left just for me. So, that was sucktastic. Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings are going to be just lovely for me this month. Long story short, I was working my butt off.

After work, Nasur picked me up. One of headlights was out, so he had the fun job of taking me to work, getting the car fixed, and picking me up from work. We hit up the gym after work and it was crowded. It took a bit to find a parking spot. Before the New Year, parking was no problemo. I was all pissy in the parking lot about it, worrying that my favorite ellipticals would be taken, but alas, they were not! Phew!

We worked out and then came home. Nasur made dinner tonight - roasted chicken with potatoes and asparagus. I sent him the link for the recipe and he let me study while he prepped and roasted. I'm a bit spoiled in the husband department.

Dinner

The chef was a bit camera shy
After dinner, I immediately had to poop, so I grabbed by computer and figured I'd bloop. So, here we are. 

I didn't have a whole lot of time to read anything particularly useful, but shortly before dinner, a family friend emailed me to say she's reading my blog and is enjoying it. I didn't know she was a reader, but I appreciated the time she took to send me an email. One of the things that struck me was this, "It is amazing to me too when I discover people who I think really have it all together who confess they have some self-love issues." 

First of all, I rarely think I have my life together - that's one of the reasons facebook and I broke up - because I thought everyone else had their life together. Hell, I turn 30 in a few short months and I'm still not done with my education; kids are a mere thought for the future; and owning a home just isn't plausible because I have no idea where I want to practice. Everyone else my age has that shit down.

Second, self-love issues could be my middle name (that'd be fucking weird though, eh?). And I'm working to get better on that. As I once read in a self help book, "No one can stop a freight train of fuck yeah."

Yes, I shall leave you with that quote. Can't really top it. 

My motivational sweatshirt

No comments:

Post a Comment