Sunday, January 1, 2017

Day 1/365: The Year I Rock Out

Today was the first day of 2017, a.k.a. the year I rock out, a.k.a. the year I pay off my credit card debt, a.k.a. the year I study consistently, a.k.a. the year I lose the fucking weight, a.k.a. the year that's gonna kick butt. 

I started the year watching the ball drop with the nurses, writing some progress notes and getting some interrupted sleep. My husband also came to work so we could ring in the new year together. He's the best. 
Labor and delivery
Husband and me

After I got home, I slept, weighed in, and then did my couponing online while eating a quick meal before hitting the gym.
Oof.
My BMI is 38.9 and fat % is 42.0


Quick breakfast

The gym oddly wasn't very crowded despite the new year
Then, two dear friends of ours came to hang out/grab a meal to celebrate the new year together. I showered and got ready as fast as I could and timed it to their arrival pretty well. We sat and chatted and then hit up Twisted Rooster, a local restaurant featuring locally-sourced foods. It was delicious and I completely forgot about snapping pictures. Grr. We came home and played some Phase 10 and then parted ways when Nasur had to work. While Nasur was at work, I went to the grocery store.

While at the grocery store, I tried to stock up on some really healthy stuff. I've been reading a lot about how to do this the right way without hating life and one of the articles I read was about quitting sugar. In short, the recommended amount of added sugar (like not from fresh fruits) is 25g. So, when I was looking at protein bars and yogurts, there were a lot of options that I just had to put back. A majority of yogurts have more than 25g of sugar in their one serving. Crazy pants. 

One of the other things I was also looking for was a healthy salad dressing. I'm a pretty big proponent of creamy dressings, which are pretty much super delicious the least healthy kind of dressing. I bought a yogurt-based Ranch dressing that I've had before that's pretty low on the calorie front. 

I also searched for a healthy-ish bread. I like my breads pretty crusty and am not so into soft breads. I picked up some flat bread sandwich things and anticipate making some paninis with them. 

When I got home, I cleaned out the fridge and cut up my produce and washed everything so it's easier to grab. There is definitely an inverse relationship between prep time and the likelihood that I'm going to eat whatever that thing is. I also tried to use the rule of seeing things - all the carbs are at the bottom of the fridge (I refrigerate my bread despite reading an article telling me that was a big no, no) and the fresh fruits and veggies are in the front and near the top. 



That's about it for me for today. I'm trying this thing where I set a 20 minute limit on blogging so that it seems like an easier thing to do - cuz really, I can spare 20 minutes a day, so I'm off! 

Today's selfie
I'll be weighing in on Monday next week (I just wanted to be able to start the year with a weigh-in) and I'm setting my goal as a lofty one - 3 pounds!

1 comment:

  1. You are so amazing! Look at you being a total badass doctor. You can do this! I love you and want you to be happy and healthy. Get it girl! 2017 is yours!! <3

    ReplyDelete