Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Teeth and travels

I didn't think today was going to be a good day, but it turned out to be a great one!


I had an orthodontist appointment this morning and as I was walking out to my car this morning, I slipped, fell on the ice, and had my breakfast bagel thrown into the sky. One half landed face up and one landed face down. I didn't have time to go make another nor am I spending money on fast (or delivered) food this semester, so I told myself that it wasn't there nearly long enough to be super disgusting. I picked it up, picked myself up, brushed off my now aching ass and headed to my appointment while eating my bagel. My appointment was fine. We talked about my invisalign and I paid a buttload of money to get the process started. He said it's going to take about a year and a half to two years for everything to straighten out my teeth and get rid of my cross bite. Sounds good to me. I didn't even know cross bites were so terrible until every person who looked in my mouth while I was biting down freaked out. I also never knew my top and bottom teeth didn't align in the center at the front of my mouth. That's bad too. Good to know. Learned a lot...


Moving on.


Today when I went to the gym and ran for a whopping 12 minutes (in addition to doing some time on the elliptical). I decided to increase my speed to a comfortable 5.0mph. Before I stopped running in November, I was going at about 5.3mph just fine so I figured 5.0 would be no problem. I was so, so wrong. I was huffing and puffing by the end of those 12 minutes. Gah. Good thing I still have 108 days until my 10k!


The most exciting news of the day came when I got home from the gym and found out I was accepted as a medical intern in Uganda this summer! Woo hoo! I was so, so excited. I have been calling my mom every time I get an update about my applicant status, so I'm sure she was glad to hear that I'd gotten in (I've probably called her at least a dozen times in the past two days). After I heard that I got in, I had to set my dates. Though I wanted to commit to six weeks, my summer vacation is just a tad over seven weeks, so I am going to go for five weeks. I figured I'd need some time to pack and then some time to chill out a bit (and go roller blading) before school started agagin. Then it came down to searching for tickets. Um, going to Africa = ridiculously expensive. I'm sure you already knew that, but holy cow. It's like sell-your-first-child expensive. With the help of Expedia and my mom's travel agent friend, I found a flight for just under $2300 (perhaps I don't value first-borns as much as others). 


Anywho, as exciting as it is to personally know someone who is going to Africa, I'm sure you all want to see what I've been eating lately. I must stay that for the past two days, I've been good...ish. I am legit going to have to cut down on my food splurges so that I can pay for all that Africa will cost me. See? This trip is going to be good for me on so many levels! Here's some recent eats:


Homemade pizza with lowfat cheese and veggies
New Chobani flavor...with...
Fruit on the bottom! And I ate the whole thing!
Snack: strawberries and strawberry banana chobani
Taco night!


Thanks for reading!

1 comment: