Saturday, July 30, 2011

Wanna go to prom?

I had a rough time getting to sleep last night because my knees were aching. This morning, I had a rough time getting up because my knees were aching. Sensing a trend here? My knees were pretty bad all day today. It's been a long time since my knees have acted up this much and I have no idea what's causing it. My only guess is the intense humidity. Anywho, the point of this information is that I didn't go to the gym this morning which made the 5 alarms I set last night completely unnecessary.
Breakfast, per usual
At work this morning, I did a little bit of something and a whole lot of nothing until 10:00 a.m. when I had a meeting, during which I finally got assigned something to do. The project sucks, but hey! it's something to do, and since I forgot my med school book at home, I was happy to have something to occupy my time. 


At lunch today, I finally busted out my new whole grain organic English muffins for my typical English muffin pizza. They were awesome! I know everyone who eats organic is all snooty and tells you that it's so much better, but believe me: it was so much better! This isn't to say that I couldn't suffer through non-organic English muffins, it just means that I will have to stock up before school starts and then switch back when I'm out.

I also had some yogurt that was delicious for dessert.
During the afternoon, I kept busy for the most part. I didn't have a ton to do, so most of the time Dillon and I just shared silly stories from our past. I told him about the time a guy tried to pick me up at the bar using String theory as an attempted pick up line/story. He told me about Tuba Girl stalking him. Interesting.


After work, I headed to the gym right away. Typically, I'll stop at home and change because I like getting ready at home and having less stuff to carry to and from the gym. But today I went straight to the gym because I knew that if I didn't go there immediately, I wouldn't go at all. Once I was changed and ready to work out, I decided to hit up the treadmill for some walking. After about three minutes on there, I could feel it in my knees. So, I decided to head to the elliptical which is lower impact. After three minutes on there, my knees were still acting up so I decided to call it a day. Yes, I only "worked out" for six minutes, but sometimes, you need to know when to call it quits.


So, after my intense workout, I headed to Midland's organic marker to get some more PB2 since I'm close to running out. Though I was planning on buying two jars, one of the girls who works there convinced me to get chocolate PB2 in addition to regular PB2. And since chocolate and peanut butter generally combine forces to become super awesome, I just had to take the plunge. I'll let you know how it goes.


Next I headed home for dinner since my brother was making turkey burgers. I have never had a homemade turkey burger, so my interest was piqued. Though Tristan ended up burning them a bit, I still really liked the flavors.
I had 1.25 turkey patties (my sister didn't like hers because there was feta in it), a few french fries, and one piece of corn. I followed up dinner with some more red velvet cake. Yum!
Then I slaughtered my mom in Skip-Bo. It was awesome. She didn't even stand a chance.


I was all set to head back home when I decided to clean my room instead of going home. My mom's been nagging reminding me to clean my room all summer so she can re-do it whilst I'm at school (I currently have no bed at her house) and I've been putting it off because I knew I'd have to go through a lot of crap. Well, the clock's counting down to my move and I decided I could put it off no longer. So I began the epic cleaning, and let me tell you, I save more things than necessary. But tonight was all about purging, so I got rid of a lot of things that I never use and collected a bunch of things to donate to Salvation Army/Goodwill. Included in my donation were all of my prom and homecoming dresses.


While I was cleaning out my closet, it was absolutely necessary to try on my old dresses and I'm happy to report that all of them dating back to freshman year were much too big. That means I'm smaller now than when I was 14. This is both a good and bad thing: I was much too big at 14, but I'm sure glad I'm smaller now! And because this wouldn't be complete without showing you just how big the dresses were, here's a picture of me in my senior prom dress:
Senior Prom 2005 (me, Jenna, and Allyson)
I shamelessly stole these from fbook (me, Jenna, and Allyson again)
Lisa and me at prom
Now, here are the pics of me in the dress now:
I had to hold the back together so it wouldn't fall down completely 
My arms are much skinnier now and I had lots of room in the dress
So, I must say, I felt very good about myself after trying on my old dresses. And I'm glad that some plus-size teen will maybe be able to wear them too because they were pretty dang expensive back in the day.


After my fun trying on my dresses, I headed back upstairs and went through tons of school stuff, clothing, and crap I've accumulated over the years. I was really trying to make sure that I was only keeping stuff that would be going with me to Grand Rapids so I didn't have to worry about storing stuff at my mom's house anymore, but we shall see. I'm going to keep some of my clothes that are now a bit too big just in case I balloon up at med school (and I may store them there). I'm really hoping that's not the case, but it happened to me once and I don't want to have to buy new fat clothes all over again.


In total, I think I had 4 donation bags, 3 donation boxes, and 1 chair. I also had 8 bags of garbage. And I'm not quite done yet, but as it was 10:30 p.m., my mom convinced me that it was time to call it quits. I'll go over there tomorrow to finish up.


After all my trips up and down the stairs, all the bending, all the sitting cross-legged, and all the squatting, my knees are pretty flared up again. Thus, I'm icing them now while I update you on my day. I've always been told to ice them only 20 minutes at a time and since I only had enough ice for one ice bag, I had to do it one knee at a time. Fortunately, I'm 5 minutes away from being able to take the ice off my left knee and being done with freezing my poor knees. Then I'm going to head off to bed because I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow. My sister and I are going to make a donation run to the Salvation Army/Goodwill. Then we're going to blade/bike. She's going to ride my bike while I roller blade. Should be a good time. And don't worry, I'll take plenty of pics. Then I hope to finish up my room at my mom's house so she can finally stop nagging reminding me.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! I want to see you in all of your other old dresses too! PS- One lucky girl is going to have the BEST thrift store dresses EVER thanks to you. I can't get myself to get rid of mine... even though I'll never wear them again.

    Love you! I'll make an appearance soon in your blog -- finally -- except for the fact that my 18-year-old self just showed up. So, maybe I should clarify and say, I can't wait until my 24-year-old self shows up in your blog, because that will mean I hung out with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEE I can comment now!! Danika, you look AMAZING!!! Oh my word!!! I am so impressed. So. So. Sooooo impressed! You're doing a wonderful job and I know you can keep this up!!

    KICK SOME ASS!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jenna: I still don't want to get rid of the dress from your wedding even though it's much too big now so I definitely understand wanting to keep yours!

    @Lisa: Thanks! Wish you could've come blading with us today (even if your wheel is janky).

    ReplyDelete