Monday, April 25, 2011

Cardio = vomit

This morning when my alarm went off, I threw the covers off in glee disdain and pushed snooze. Twice. And thus was five minutes late to work. Whoops. But, I was able to have breakfast and that's what's truly important!
Also, a good thing about being late is that occasionally by the time I arrive, Carrie has shared all of her boring stories about her weekend and kids with someone else. This was not the case today. So, I got to hear all about how she left her iPod touch in her lab coat this weekend, which made grocery shopping really difficult because she has a shopping list app on her iPod. But, since she saw Ken's car at work on her way to go decorate eggs with her kids, she stopped by and grabbed her iPod. Wow, my life is better for knowing all of that [read: I wish I suffered from morning deafness]. She shared some other pointless stories, but I shall refrain from telling you them because they are both pointless and a waste of my time to type.


After Sheli showed up and cursed me (I may have infected her last week...and by may, I mean I did, and she hates me for it), I decided to go run some tests on eight samples I got last week. Though I tried to be as inefficient as possible, I still ended up finishing everything before lunch. So, I sat on my computer working up my data and then left for lunch a bit early.


Today at lunch I made myself a salad and had to open my second dressing bottle! Good thing I have two more and friends in Ann Arbor that could maybe send me some if I ever get low. I also had some crackers with smoked rainbow trout spread and another banana (all my bananas are ripe at the same time - my potassium levels are going to be super high, or, if you want it in medical terms, I will have hyperkalemia temporarily).
I also defrosted some ground turkey and made some turkey taco meat during my lunch break because I wanted to expedite dinner making after the gym since I'm typically starving by that time.


After lunch, I wandered around the labs aimlessly, wishing I had something to do. So, I decided to sit down and chug through some more thermo stuff. Now, I got an A in advanced thermo in undergrad, which I took when I was a junior. So, that was legit three years ago. Add to that the fact that this is thermo for engineers and you have a thoroughly easily-distracted Danika attempting to understand refrigeration cycles. Aaaaand add to this the fact that I have no idea how the book converted 0°F to a unitless value of 459.6 and you will understand why I probably played a cumulative hour and a half's worth of solitaire on my phone. It's not that it's hard, it's just that quantum is infinitely better than thermo and I'd rather play solitaire.


After work, I headed to the gym for personal training with Mark. Today was rough. Like really rough. Like work-Danika-so-hard-she-nearly-vomited rough. Mark decided we would do tons of cardio with some weight and resistance band intervals. We started out easy and then when he had me at a 15% incline walking at 4.3mph, my mucus was draining into my throat and stomach so much that I nearly threw up. I told him I needed a break and he rushed me over to a bench to sit down where he looked at my heart rate monitor, which was at 180 beats per minute. Uh, that's fast. I know this because it's said that your maximum heart rate is about 220 - your age (in years). So, mine is 220-23 = 197bpm. Gah. We took it a little easier after that point, but yikes. Not looking forward to Wednesday.


After my workout, I decided to pamper myself and went tanning for 10 minutes. It was nice to lie there and relax for a bit before heading home to make tacos.


Now, for those of you who know my [limited] kitchen skills, you know that I am the world's slowest vegetable chopper (which is why my mom bought me a magic chopper food processor). Fortunately, I only had to cut some tomatoes and spinach.
But because I'm not exceedingly talented at chopping, I also chopped my finger, which I only noticed when it started bleed excessively. I tried to get a picture of the blood, but my camera wouldn't focus, so here's a picture of my wound successfully dressed banadage.
But, it was well worth the blood letting because my tacos were delicious!
After cleaning up after my taco deliciousness, I spent a lot of the night covered in flashcards memorizing medical terms, diseases, and abbreviations. I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about because my exam tomorrow is only 100 questions and is multiple choice, but I'd rather be ridiculously overprepared than screwed.


Also, since I've been studying all night, I am putting my new page with my calorie counts on hold. I did track today, I promise! I just don't want to set everything up. I'm tired and all I can think of is ankylosing spondylitis and other medical diseases.


How are your kitchen skills? Any tips for faster chopping abilities? Also, have you ever exercised so hard that you thought you might throw up (or am I the only ridiculously out of shape person)?

3 comments:

  1. Hi love! I think post-nasal drip leading to vomiting (or nearly) is quite natural. I coughed so hard I DID vom the other morning. It was red and I freaked out for a second before I remembered I'd had Cheerios Berries for breakfast. :D I didn't see a new Daily Affirmation up there...SHAME! I'll make one up for you...mmmm...Danika is an amazing chemist! Also, did you know that when we digest potassium we emit K-40 radiation? Nothing serious of course; all au naturel. However, increasing banana consumption ups your radioactivity! Are you glowing green yet? HAHA j/k. :) I looooooove you!!! Can't wait for your new page and more affirmations and posts!! xoxoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. [read: I wish I suffered from morning deafness]
    I hope your children are big-D deaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lisa: I'm thinking it's a sinus infection now that there's sinus and tooth pain. Womp, womp. I did post an affirmation today though! Thanks for the reminder!

    @Anthony: I was tempted to write that, but I didn't think anyone but you would get it. Haha - glad you caught on anyway!

    ReplyDelete