Sunday, September 29, 2013

Those plans I've been telling you about...

This week was interesting. It began on Monday with me losing my very first patient and ended on Friday with me meeting a woman who had a benign brain tumor successfully resected, but leaving her unable to blink her left eye while having my computer fixed. It seems you can't really shut the medical thing off. But I'm also the happiest I've been in a long time. I'm not sure if it's because I'm living the family lifestyle with having weekends off and having hours that don't involve me getting up before the sun has even thought about rising or because now I'm doing a rotation that actually allows me to talk to patients, but I'm finally getting into the groove of this soon-to-be doctor thing.

That being said, I've kind of been struggling with getting into the groove of losing weight, but I've been pretty good about gaining it...yikes. Last week, I weighed in at 236.4, so I set my goal for tomorrow to be a 3 pound loss. I was careful with my eating and did exercise a few times, but we'll see.

Right now, my plans to be successful include tracking on a calendar that's in my living room. I get to cross out the day with one slash if I've washed my face and flossed before bed and it gets two slashes for doing that and going to the gym. I've got goals set for every Monday already written on the calendar and I'm hoping it'll help to have both weekly goals that I can see as well as a longer-term end-of-the-month goal. I'm continuing to use SparkPeople to log calories and I'm discouraging myself from eating out unless it's amongst friends - mostly because I shouldn't spend the money, but also because eating out tends to have so many more calories that I can't control. I'm also going to start trying new classes at the Y - maybe one every week or so. We'll see how that goes because my schedule isn't as flexible as it once was.

I'll also start posting some more pictures starting tomorrow as I had left my camera in my purse all last week and was simply too lazy to go get it. I really am that lazy, people.

I'm also flirting with the idea of heading to the gym in the mornings. I technically don't need to be to work until 8:15 starting tomorrow (I'm back to outpatient rather than inpatient, which requires you to be there at 7) and it takes me about 2.5-3 hours to work out, shower, eat, and get dressed in the mornings. Sooo, I could theoretically get out of bed at 5:30 and hit the gym. It's just really hard for me to do that because sleep is such a highly prioritized thing in my life. That being said, I do like getting my work out out of the way right away so I can't make up some excuse as to why I can't do it later. So, I think I'll give it a try this week and see how I like it. If I hate it after a week, I can just commit to working out after work. I've tried doing the 5:30 thing before and have hated it, soooo, we'll see...?

Catch you tomorrow with a weigh-in and hopefully good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment