Subject change!
One of the things that both medical school and my attempts to get into shape have taught me: getting started is the hardest part. For example, I never really want to go to the gym. But once I get there and I'm running or on the elliptical or lifting or whatever, it's never as bad as I make myself think it's going to be. In fact, I kind of like it. But for me, getting there is 100% of the battle. Once I'm there? No problem. Getting there? Huge problem.
So how am I solving the problem? Going to the gym first thing in the morning. I haven't showered yet, so I can't use the "I don't want to shower twice in one day" excuse. I haven't eaten yet, so I can't use the "I need some time for my stomach to settle" excuse. I haven't begun to process real thoughts yet, so I can't use the "I have X, Y, and Z to do" excuse.
Now, medical school. This semester is shaping up to be even more study-intensive than last semester. I didn't even think that was possible, but it is. And it's so so hard to get myself to sit down and do it. Again, once I start studying, it's not nearly as challenging as I make myself think it's going to be. I'm not going to say I like it, but I don't mind it if I really can get into the groove. Once I'm going? No problem. Getting started? Huge problem
So how am I solving this problem? Going to school to study. Last week, I tried going to the library. It was effective, but school is better. At school, there is a refrigerator where we can store our food. At school, I don't have to worry about people stealing my stuff because there are security cameras everywhere. At school, I can take a break and find a sympathetic ear to chat with. So, it makes more sense to go there. I am so much more productive when I'm surrounded by people doing the exact same thing as me. But, it's hard to get myself to go to school. Today I almost didn't go, telling myself I could be as productive at home. But I knew I was lying to myself. The other good thing about going to school is that I get in a teeny tiny bit of exercise since I bike there and back.
And back to the first subject...ish
So I'm making some good changes in parts of my life. I'm working on making even more good changes, but I think slow and steady wins the race. That being said, I've decided to start my official training for my 10k next week. I have also decided to use a training schedule generated by some random program. I think that by having some days for cross training and weight training built in instead of doing that on top of running everyday will be a great idea for me. Plus, there are built in rest days. Who can say no to a legit day when you don't have to go to the gym? No one - that's who.
Dessert. Okay, so giving that up is not happening this week. Especially after finding this recipe. These things are insanely easy to make and they're not even that bad for you. There are no eggs, no butter, no flour, no sugar (well, unless you count maple sugar), and they legit taste good. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand this evening and made a batch. I'll take some to school tomorrow and save a small plate for myself. But I think instead of completely saying no to dessert, I will allow for these and sherbet. At least for a little while - small changes first, I think.
And now for what all you visual people have been waiting for:
| Lunch (brought to you by the color yellow? Idk why this turned out so yellow) |
![]() |
| Snack before dinner (so I wouldn't overeat at dinner) |
| A few future dinners |
| Tonight's dinner: jambalaya |
| Oaties |

Hi Danika,
ReplyDeleteI've been reading your blog for a while now and yet this is my first time ever leaving you a comment. To me, you're a stranger I've never met, but I admit I enjoy reading your blog very much and check it almost everyday (I hope I didn't sound too stalkish there) because I can relate to you on many levels.
Your today's entry about how starting something is the hardest to you.. it definitely spoke to me because I am exactly the same when it comes to workout. Especially when it's cold outside like thesedays, I find myself making excuses to not go outside (to the gym), but if I somehow convince myself to get my butt there, I am all in and actually enjoy working out and mentally petting myself in the back saying, "good job coming to the gym!".
I just had to leave a comment letting you know that you are not alone in that, and I think what you're doing (acknowledging your weakness and finding a proper solution) is very admirable and even though we've never met and I am a stranger to you, I am cheering you on!
Best of luck to you with school, health and everything!
I understand how you feel about getting started. I'm back to a point where it's a struggle just to do 10 sit ups in the morning, much less get to the gym. I know what you're capable of, physically and mentally and I will forever be on your side, rooting for your good health <3
ReplyDelete