Let's talk about the elephant in the room today. Or, rather, the Saint in the room today. St. Valentine. Actually, let's skip the historical significance and just talk about what today's meant to celebrate: loved ones that you cherish. No, I'm not currently dating anyone. Yes, I think Valentine's Day is a good day because I think there's not enough love in this world. So despite some couples being nauseating, it'd be a good vomit fest...yup. That's how I feel about Valentine's Day. It's not a day to get depressed about not having a significant other - it's a day to be grateful for all of those who do love you. That being said, the highlight of my Valentine's day was my mom's e-mail where she told me she got some hand knitted mittens. Nothing says I love you more than warm hands ;-) [N.B. She's an elementary school teacher]
This morning, I slept in and started my Valentine's day off with breakfast candy: bacon. Noms.
Then I was surprised with a special treat at school: cupcakes! Note that I said cupcakes as in I ate two. Not the world's best decision, buuuuut, totes worth it because I only get dessert on special occasions and today was one of them.
I spent the rest of my day loving life in the laboratory/figuring out which shade of gray that part of the brain is supposed to be. Then, some friends and I went to grab some half-off sushi for dinner. Delicious!
After that, it was back to studying. I took a study break by heading to the gym since I skipped it this morning and am determined to be in great shape for this 10k. While I was there, I ran into four classmates - three of which were guys. When I first saw the guys, I was sweating on the elliptical. Then it was time for my upper body workout. At this point, I moseyed over to the weight area and then went to say hi. The guys were surprised and somewhat impressed by the fact that I was one of two women in the weight area doing some lifting. They were doing chest presses. We chatted for a bit and they told me that they were going to sign up to run the 25k the day I will be running my 10k. They tried to encourage me to switch from my 10k to the 25k, but I'm not crazy: 6 miles versus 15? Uh, no thanks. They also told me that I should start working out at nights rather than the morning because they always go at this time. First of all, I was pretty shocked. I don't talk to them much at school (mostly because I don't go to class anymore) and I was also shocked that they were impressed with my "athletic abilities." I mean, I'm not an athlete by any means, so the fact that they were so encouraging was nice, to say the least. It was also nice that instead of them wondering what I was doing there, they immediately accepted me as someone who (despite being overweight) seemed to belong there. Weird.
That being said, I'm definitely not changing up my routine and going at nights on a regular basis. It took a lot of effort to get myself to go to the gym that late at night and I know myself well enough to know that I won't be able to do that everyday.
Hope your Valentine's day was great!
Yummy bacon and cupcakes! I am definitely thankful for having you in my life <3 What a great gym story!! I hope that you feel uplifted and encouraged by it :) I know you can do it Danika!
ReplyDeleteOuch. We were Valentines. I even sent you a card! But, alas, mittens are more important than me :-(
ReplyDelete