Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Positive day and some new [to me] cardio

Today had lots of little things that I had low expectations for that turned out to be awesome. 

First: Today's conference. It was at 7:30 a.m. and was supposed to be a bunch of lectures. For those of you who have had to sit in lectures all day, b o r i n g. Buuut, it wasn't! I learned a lot and I got to sleep in until like 5:50 today. Ballllller. Also, I got to see one of the girls I met at my rotation in Malawi and now we're totally going to hang out on my next day off...next Saturday...womp.


Second: Going back to the hospital after the conference. Our fellow intern on gyn was told not to come back. The rest of us on OB were told to go back to work for a measley 2 hours. Buuuut, when I got there, there was a C-section that I got to scrub and do a lot of. As my senior resident kindly let me close the fascia, the attending physician asked where I learned up my sewing skills. I was like, "Uh, I kinda picked them up in Africa. Why? Did I pick up a bad habit?" She was like, "No. I was just very impressed that you're a first year and this proficient." BALLER STATUS HAS BEEN BESTOWED UPON YOURS TRULY.


Third: Not actually having been scheduled for the personal training appointment I thought I'd be scheduled for. Last Friday, I did a personal training assessment thing at L.A. Fitness and I thought the guy I met with had scheduled me for a session tonight. Turns out, he hadn't. I checked my app and had nothing scheduled and when I called, they acted like I was crazy. Sooo, it was another cardio day for me. I had a lot of great suggestions (thank you very much!) and decided the most important point was try something new! So, I tried the lateral elliptical only because all the ellipticals I liked were already taken. Supposedly you burn more calories and activate more of your hip adductors and abductors. I kinda liked it - it was smooth like the elliptical and you could program it to your level. I still didn't burn as many calories as I typically do on the elliptical, but after I googled the lateral elliptical, I might give it another whirl and try one of the really intense programs.


So, yeah. Awesome day. Now I've got my fish that I marinated last night cooking and I've got some beans I got from my mom steaming and I'm planning on having a great dinner. 


Here are today's photos for you:



Same breakfast as yesterday
Tea (that I tossed cuz it wasn't that good) and a bagel I waited to eat until my morning hunger pains started
Lunch: Mexican - tortilla chips, chicken, lettuce, tomato, guac, and salsa
The new class of interns at my hospital
Marinated fish pre-cooking
My veggie/fruit juice
Cooked fish
Dinner!
Not pictured: the fiber one cookie I ate on my way to the hospital, my insta-urine for post-gym hydration, and my watermelon dessert.

Any positive parts of your day? Also, have any of you tried the lateral elliptical? If yes, what'd you think?

3 comments:

  1. What a great job Danika! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you. Seriously. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried it but really want too! Sounds like a great core focused workout!

    ReplyDelete