Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Two Good Things

Hello, new followers! Welcome to my blog! I'm going to do a quick rundown of how things work on this here page so that you're not confused in the future (though I'm sure that will happen regardless of this intro).


What this blog is all about
My weight loss journey started after I graduated high school and had an eye-opening experience at an amusement park. I've allowed my weight to fluctuate since then and recommitted to weight loss in October 2010. When I started again, I weighed in at a hefty 257 pounds and lost about 45 pounds. Now that I've started medical school, I've had a harder time losing and have gained quite a bit back. This has happened to me before (lost about 66 pounds - regained almost all of it), but I am really, really sick of it. So, I started blogging and tracking calories with SparkPeople. Then I decided to move my blog to a more public forum. Hence, the little blog's birth last March.


What I blog about
Mostly, I blog about my everyday life (which is usually not so exciting). I share pictures of my food, my thoughts about working out, and some pretty personal feelings on being an overweight woman pursuing an MD. I also do a lot of bitching about how hard medical school is, a lot of oversharing about how much I love my cat, and a lot of complaining about how working out is hard.


Why you should read this everyday
Um, I've got nothing...


Moving on to the real entry


I started my 30-day challenge today. My alarm was all set and I even spiced things up by setting the alarm sound to be a favorite song of mine (Yes, internet besties, my life is that intense). When it went off at 7:50, I pushed snooze and woke up again at about 10:21. Yup. Definitely turned the alarm off on accident... So, definitely started off my 30-day challenge on the right foot...


I got myself together and headed to school for an interesting talk about the latino/a community and some common health problems. Then I settled down in the nerd nest for what I assumed was going to be a productive afternoon of studying. Not so much. Two lectures in, I was bored out of my mind and decided to head home where studying was just as...awesome...? I couldn't focus because despite getting a solid 10 hours of sleep, I was still tired. So, I took a nap. Good thinking. Because, you know, I didn't want today to be productive nor did I want to establish a legit sleep schedule. Gah.


But, I did do two good things today! And because I know that you, internet bestie, are very interested in what these two things are, I shall tell you!


First, I went to the gym and sweat. A lot. Like maybe a gallon...or seven... It was ridiculous. And probably extremely attractive. Good thing I was wearing headphones and reading my kindle so the dozens of men that wanted to talk to me thought they couldn't come talk to me... 


Today was an "easy run day" (N.B. I use quotations when I am lying). I ran two miles at a measly 4.5mph. But it was hard. So hard. I really, really, really wanted to stop and walk for a bit. But, I didn't. Because I've run more than two miles before. So I knew I could do it again if I really wanted to. And bam, before I knew it, I was done. Okay. That was a lie too. It seemed to take forever. But, to congratulate myself on running two miles, I went and ate two pounds of ice cream. Juuuuust kidding. I went and did about 15 minutes on the elliptical and read for fun. And sweat some more. Mmm. Sweat. Delicious.


Now for the second good thing! I called up a med school friend and we set up a standing gym date. Now you are probably thinking to yourself, "Psh. No big deal. I go to the gym with my ten besties errday." My response to that? First of all, I enjoy your use of "errday." I often use that in place of "everyday" as well. Second of all, fine! Belittle this challenge for me!


I say challenge because I have a hard time committing to working out with someone because what if they're way more in shape than me? Or what if they think I'm weak for needing someone to go with me? Or what if my workout is taking way longer than theirs and they have to waste time waiting for me? Or what if they see all of my jiggly parts jiggle? 


See? I much prefer to work out in a place filled with anonymous strangers. But said strangers don't give me the accountability I need. So, now my friend (whom I shall refer to as C) and I are going to be holding each other accountable. We will be hitting the gym everyday at 8:00 a.m. (though tomorrow we're going at 7:30 - so early!) and we're switching driving days so that neither of us have to waste too much gas. I'm pretty excited. This should really help me commit to this 30-day challenge.


And now for my least favorite part of the 30-day challenge, here is my picture of my current weight.
Good thing I have a pedicure scheduled for Saturday
And here are the pics of all my food for today.
Breakfast 
Afternoon snack
Dinner - a healthier version of Taco Bell's meximelt 
One serving of chips with my meximelt
"Dessert"
Post-gym Snack
I don't have a picture of lunch for you because it was provided for me today during the talk I attended. Infinite apologies!


See you tomorrow for another riveting post!

5 comments:

  1. I'm sads that you didn't get to the gym early today :( but I'm happy you still went and that you made a standing gym date with C! How was your water intake today? My pee was clear all day! I know you can do this challenge, and I'm proud of your food choices and lack of unhealthy dessert! :) xoxoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My water intake is usually pretty good because I rarely let my water bottle go empty. Also, I read on the twitter (one of Chris Powell's or Bob Harper's tweets) that you should drink an entire glass of water almost right away when you wake up because it helps wake up your metabolism, so I've also been trying to do that. Maybe you should too so that your pee becomes invisible...? :-* Love you!

      Delete
  2. I heart you, Danika Forgach. You are both inspirational and kick-ass. If you need a boost in confidence or another gym buddy, I'm your gal. Love you, Lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph! If you would like to join me for an 8:00 a.m. gym date errday, you are more than welcome. I know you wouldn't judge me for my jiggly parts!

      Delete
  3. Have you ever thought of getting Nike+? Setting goals on there and watching all of my miles add up is what keeps with exercising!

    ReplyDelete