Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Danika and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

Today was a struggle. After I tell you why, I'm going to bed because I give up on today. First of all, I woke up at 5, which is never a good start to the day. Then I got to the hospital at a reasonable time, but I got lost for a good half hour. I did get to see my patients, but it turns out that one is a chronic liar, soooo I looked like an ass during rounds. Shocking, I know. Then I looked like an ass in clinic with my chief resident because the patients told him different things than they told me.

Lunch and the afternoon was just one surgery and then we got to leave - it was an early day for us (we ended at 2). I went to Marshall's after work because strangely, we go on round with our bags with us and everyone else has a purse or satchel type of deal and I have a backpack. But all the tote bags were super expensive and I couldn't bring myself to buy one when I have a perfectly good tote bag in Michigan and I wouldn't really use it after here. Then I went to Staples to buy highlighters because I definitely left my good ones in Michigan.

When I got home, I decided to take Carrie's dog for a walk. There's a dog park right across the street so I decided to let her go there first and then walk her so she'd stop pulling so hard on the leash. August (the dog) did pretty well at the park until a small white fluffy dog showed up and she attacked and would not stop. So, I had to pull her off the poor guy and then we went for a walk on our own. I felt really awful but even worse because it's not my dog so I didn't expect it. 

During our walk, I was playing with my phone and the touchscreen stopped being responsive. I figured my little incident of running it over may have made it be an asshole temporarily. Except it wasn't temporary. Nothing I did would make it work. Then we got home and it worked. And then it didn't. I googled repair places nearby and got hopelessly lost, had to ask a cop for directions, and then found the store in a little plaza. It's a weird part of Charlotte - a lot of their stores around town are in plazas and have no street entrance so you'd never know they were there unless you were searching for it for hours. I got so lost that I almost started crying when the cop finally told me I was close and not crazy.

The repair folks told me there was nothing wrong with the phone after they took it apart. Then they told me that it was either the screen (WHICH I JUST HAD REPLACED) or the software. After spending >1 hour on the phone with Verizon, then calling my mom and sobbing they assured me there was nothing they could do and I started crying. Carrie was home upstairs so obviously I had to keep the volume to a minimum, but eventually I came to my senses and ordered a phone off amazon for way too much money than I wanted ($160) and cried some more and now I'm reviewing some stuff on my patients and then I'm heading to bed. 

Carrie is having some kind of conference call meeting in the living room and it's super loud. Obviously my room is on that floor so I'll probably cry some more if I can't fall asleep. I'm so pathetic today.

1 comment:

  1. All I want to do right now is give you a great big hug!!!!! I love you and you are so strong. I know you'll get through this and I know you'll have a better tomorrow. You are wonderful, amazing, and you're going to make the best of this rotation. I've had days like that before and definitely cried myself to sleep, but you wake up the next day and start fresh. I love you!!!! xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete