Thursday, April 5, 2012

Low on time. High on...?

If I can type fast enough, then this shall be a legit entry. But I'm low on time and high on drugs. Just kidding. It just seemed so appropriate because you can get high on drugs. Not that I'd know. I've seriously never done drugs. Wow. Let's start over: I'm low on time and high on things to do. So, here we go.


This morning, I woke up early. Like legit early. Like 6:45 a.m. early because C and I were committed to going to the gym. Yesterday. Today? Not so much. She texted to say she was too tired and I told her that I was going to go anyway. Too bad I didn't. I decided to get up and finishing catching up on lectures. I was 12 lectures behind yesterday. Today, I woke up and was two lectures behind. And then I had to watch two more for today. But, bam! This girl's all caught up on lecture. I seriously can't remember the last time that was true.


I went to school today for neuro because we had patients come in. The first batch had cerebellar defects and the second batch had Parkinson's. It's going to sound really rude, but it was cool. It's interesting to see how the things you're studying manifest themselves in real life. However, it's heartbreaking at the same time to hear about how these patients have slowly been degenerating and finding themselves unable to do the things they once did. And if neurology were anything like what we learned in class, I'd love to do it. However, after shadowing a neurologist, it definitely isn't anything like the class and so though I find it super interesting, it's probably not for me.


After neuro, a friend and I found a study room, watched this morning's lectures and had lunch until we went to a required talk from 1-3. Apparently the woman who gave the talk was very famous: Susan M. Reverby. She wrote a book about the Tuskegee syphilis study done unknowingly on over 600 African American men in the South. It was basically an ethics talk, which, though interesting at the beginning, wasn't able to hold my attention until the end. That could have been because I was exhausted from getting up early.


Anywho, I headed home after the chat, finished up some lectures, did some reading, made some dinner, and then headed to a free running clinic at Gazelle Sports. One of my med school friends was there and there were maybe 10 total people in the class. We were taught proper form, were videotaped and critiqued (in front of the entire group), and able to ask questions. It was completely free, which was amazing. It was also amazing because the instructors were super knowledgable, very approachable, and encouraged us to keep in touch and ask as many questions as we had in the future. I was really glad I went.


Afterwards, I headed to meijer because I needed a few things. I made a list, determined not to buy anything that wasn't on the list, but when I saw the Cadbury mini-eggs, I put two bags in my cart. Then I headed to the other side of the store and yelled at myself the entire time in my head to put them back. That I didn't need them. But then I told myself I could get them because I would take them to family dinner tomorrow, so it's not as though I couldn't share them with the family. But then I told myself that I wouldn't do that. That I would just eat them on my own. So, in a burst of self control, I found a random shelf and took them out of my cart and put them there. I saved myself $6 and a lot of self-loathing. Good for me.


Anywho, here are some pics from the day:
Breakfast: a cereal I don't hate!
Dinner: BBQ pulled pork, courtesy of the mom, expertly reheated by me
Decided to make these for dessert since they've been sitting in my fridge for a while
I kinda expected them to get bigger...
Noms
Alright, folks. That's where I leave you. I have a make-up Neuro exam tomorrow (I missed it when I was at home last week), so I must go study. Like I said: short on time, high on things to do.


Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. How did you find the running clinic? I wonder if there's one in Nashville... There's a big marathon at the end of the month, maybe there will be booths set up with free things and advice! I still loathe running :/ That Kashi cereal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place where I bought my running shoes does them twice a week for free. You should check out some type of running store. I think New Balance is gearing up to do Good Form Running around the nation. It was basically a non-spiritual way of doing Chi Running, so you could always pick up that book. Love you!

      Delete